SUNY-ESF

SUNY-ESF faculty discuss future of university at town hall meeting

Haley Kim | Digital Copy Chief

President Quentin Wheeler announced his resignation last week.

At a student town hall meeting on Tuesday, faculty expressed optimism about the school’s future following President Quentin Wheeler’s recent resignation announcement.

The town hall, facilitated by SUNY-ESF Graduate Student Association President Ryan Scheel, and the college’s Undergraduate Student Association, was held in Marshall Auditorium.

Students were able to ask questions of five faculty members and one administrator, many of whom have been at SUNY-ESF for decades. Students asked officials about their visions for the future, the next steps following Wheeler’s announcement and other university initiatives, such as a proposed enrollment increase.

Academic Governance, the college’s faculty body, voted no confidence in Wheeler in November 2016, citing what they said were examples of poor leadership and a climate of fear. Conflict between faculty and administrators continued after the 2016 vote, notably in the wake of the administration’s controversial decision earlier this year to remove three faculty department chairs just days before the start of the spring semester.

One student raised questions about why there was so much criticism of Wheeler instead of the Board of Trustees. John Hassett, a chemistry professor, said it was because Wheeler was the one making the decisions.

“Our president was the one in front of us, that has a lot to do with it,” Hassett said. “He was the one here, making the decisions, that the board was possibly standing behind.”

Students also asked when the next president would be named. Kelley Donaghy, an associate professor of chemistry, said it would take about a year after an interim president is named before SUNY-ESF has a new, full-time president. But the naming also depends on when the presidential search starts, she added.

SUNY Chancellor Kristina Johnson and the SUNY Board of Trustees announced last Wednesday that they will look to appoint an interim campus leader at SUNY-ESF by July 1.

Faculty on Tuesday were also asked to describe their vision for SUNY-ESF. Don Leopold, one of three department chairs that Wheeler controversially dismissed in January, said he hoped to see the university rise in its national rankings. Donaghy said she wanted to return the focus of SUNY-ESF to the people.

“Happy people make happy things happen and first place is happening because people are motivated to do their best work,” Donaghy said.

Faculty members said they are excited for a renewed focus on SUNY-ESF’s strengths. Chris Nowak, a professor in the Forest and Natural Resources Management department, said the school’s commitment to teaching attracted him to SUNY-ESF and makes it stand out from other institutions.

“I’d like to see the future of ESF still to be this institution that has world-class scientists with a passion and commitment to teaching,” Nowak said.