#NotAgainSU

SU relocates Crouse-Hinds Hall classes amid protest

Corey Henry | Photo Editor

Only those with card access to the building will be allowed entrance.

Syracuse University is moving all classes out of Crouse-Hinds Hall until further notice, a university official said in an email to faculty and staff Monday night.

The relocation comes as #NotAgainSU, a Black student-led movement, occupies the building in protest of hate crimes and bias incidents at SU. Only faculty, staff and administrators with card access to the building will be allowed inside, the email said.

“We have heard from members of our campus community that continued demonstrations are creating challenging learning environments for some of our students,” said Megan Travis, director for strategic initiatives, in the email. “We do not make this decision lightly, but must uphold an orderly classroom environment.”

#NotAgainSU began its occupation of Crouse-Hinds at noon on Monday. SU has placed about 30 students who remained in Crouse-Hinds Hall after the building closed at 9 p.m. on interim suspension.

Protesters reissued calls for the resignation of four university officials, including Chancellor Kent Syverud, setting a deadline of Friday for the officials to vacate their offices. The calls come after at least 26 racist, anti-Semitic or bias-related incidents occurred at or near SU since early November.